nd-App
www.flight13.com
Kürzliche Beiträge
16. Oktober 2011, 00.15 Uhr:

Städtekrieg - von Sirte nach Syrien?

von Thomas von der Osten-Sacken

Sirte, letzte Bastion Gaddafis und seiner Getreuen, ist nach wochenlangen Kämpfen zwar so gut wie erobert, geblieben ist offenbar eine Trümmerwüste, eine jener trostlosen Stadlandschaften, die so typisch für die Bürgerkriege des späten 20. und frühen 21. Jahrhunderts sind.

A drive through some of Sirte’s “liberated” neighborhoods revealed the pounding the city has taken. In one area, block after block of small mustard-yellow apartments were peppered with small-arms fire. Artillery fire had blasted holes in the walls, and front doors were ripped off their hinges. The burned-out carcasses of a truck and car littered one empty street.

At the nearby Ouagadougou convention center, a complex where Gaddafi once hosted Arab and African leaders, the beige walls were charred black, and windows were shattered.

Gabriele Rossi, the emergency coordinator in Sirte for the aid group Doctors Without Borders, said the city appeared to have sustained some of the greatest damage of the war. “The part we have seen is almost completely destroyed,” he said.

(Siehe auch dieses Video)

Auch in Syrien scheint die Zeit der friedlichen Proteste vorbei, neben Protesten kommt es immer häufiger zu bewaffneten Zusammenstößen. Es ist wohl nur eine Frage der Zeit, wann der Krieg in den Städten final auch dort ausbrechen wird.

15. Oktober 2011, 11.29 Uhr:

Die Cohen Brüder in Teheran?

von Thomas von der Osten-Sacken

Die ganze Geschichte klingt wie ein Drehbuch der Cohen Brüder: Ein gescheiterter, versoffener Gebrauchtwagenhändler in einem texanischen Kaff namens Corpus Christi, sein Cousin, der für die notorischen Al Quds Brigaden im Iran arbeitet und dann auch noch die Zetas, ehemalige mexikanische Sondereinsatzkräfte, die die Seiten gewechselt haben. So soll ein Anschlag gegen die saudische Botschaft in den USA, in den höchste iranische Regierungskreise verwickelt sein sollen, geplant worden sein?

Für den deutschen Zeitungsleser, der seine Empfindungen auch als Kommentare online hinterlässt, mal wieder ein klarer Fall: das haben die Amis erfunden, um in einen neuen Krieg zu ziehen, oder, wie es in Teheran heißt, von den Demonstrationen an der Wall Street abzulenken. Schwerlich finden sich auf den Seiten von Zeit, Welt und Süddeutsche ein anderslautender Kommentar. Denn die lange und blutige Geschichte von iranischen Terroranschlägen im Ausland zählt schließlich nicht.

Die Washington Post nun hat sich die Mühe gemacht, die Geschichte  zu verfolgen und ihr etwas Sinn zu geben. Dann klingt das Ganze schon weit weniger abstrus:

When nearly $100,000 landed in an undercover FBI bank account from a source linked to an Iranian paramilitary force, officials began taking seriously an alleged plot to assassinate the Saudi ambassador that at first had seemed outlandish.

And as the investigation unfolded over recent months, a name emerged that chilled some in the U.S. government. The Iranian cousin of the man accused of plotting the assassination was Abdul Reza Shahlai, a senior commander in Iran’s Quds Force, who had been linked to the killing of American troops in Iraq.

Shahlai was known as the guiding hand behind an elite group of gunmen from the feared militia of the cleric Moqtada al-Sadr. They had dressed as American and Iraqi soldiers and, in a convoy of white SUVs, stormed a provincial government building in Karbala on Jan. 20, 2007.

Five Americans were killed and three were wounded in the attack, whose brazenness rattled the military. The daring raid became even more notorious after some of the suspected killers were later released by the Iraqi government.

The U.S. military found a 22-page memo that detailed preparations for the operation and tied it to the Quds Force, a branch of Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps. Treasury officials singled out Shahlai as “the final approving and coordinating authority” for the Iran-based training of members of Sadr’s militia before they went back to Iraq to attack coalition forces.

The 54-year-old Iranian also supplied parts of Sadr’s militia with large quantities of C-4 plastic explosives, 122mm grad rockets, rocket-propelled grenades and mortars, according to the U.S. Treasury report targeting him for sanctions.

“The Quds Force is Iran’s arm for supporting terrorists and planning attacks. .?.?. It has, in the past, reached out to groups that might seem unlikely partners,” said a U.S. official, speaking on the condition of anonymity to discuss an ongoing investigation. “The U.S. government has known for quite some time that the Quds Force was involved in this type of external plotting and has known that Shahlai has been behind much of it. That he is still at it is no surprise.”

Shahlai’s cousin in the United States is Mansour Arbabsiar, who had grown up with him in the Iranian city of Kermanshah (now Bakhtaran) but emigrated to Texas in the late 1970s.

This year, the 56-year-old Arbabsiar, running from a series of failed businesses and a collapsing marriage, returned to Iran to live. And Shahlai apparently decided that he had found another proxy to strike at two of Iran’s principal enemies: the United States and Iran’s regional rival, Saudi Arabia. The Saudi ambassador to the United States, Adel al-Jubeir, is a key foreign policy adviser to King Abdullah.

U.S. officials say that Shahlai hoped that Arbabsiar, by virtue of his time in Texas, might be able to get in touch with Mexican drug traffickers who would kidnap Jubeir. The plan allegedly later evolved into assassinating him in Washington.

Auch wenn sie immer mit äußerster Vorsicht gelesen werden sollten, denn Debka hat in der Vergangenheit schon so manche Ente produziert, lohnt sich auch ein Blick in diese Analyse: Iranian radicals look for a limited armed clash with the US

Siehe auch

Khaled Abu Tomaeh: If They Are Like This Now, What Will They Be Like With Nukes?

Ken Pollack: Iran’s Covert War Against the United States

Tony Badran: Ignoring the Iranian threat

Martin Indyk: The Iranian Connection und diesen Hintergrundartikel über die Al Quda Milizen.

14. Oktober 2011, 19.29 Uhr:

Mehr als 100 Parteien ...

von Thomas von der Osten-Sacken

In Tunesien wird in einer Woche die neue versfassungsgebende versammlung gewählt, Sarah Mersch berichtet über den Wahlkampf und die Chancen der einzelnen Parteien und Kandidaten.

Siehe auch: Arab Spring faces its first test at the polls

13. Oktober 2011, 19.06 Uhr:

Türkischer Handel mit Syrien nimmt zu

von Thomas von der Osten-Sacken

Während die türkische Regierung ungefähr einmal pro Woche erklärt, sie verliere endgültig die Geduld mit Syrien - ohne dass deshalb etwas nahmhaftes passiert, nimmt der Handel zwischen den beiden Ländern sogar noch zu:

Turkish Economy Minister Zafer Ça?layan has said Turkey’s trade with Syria continues to increase. Commenting on Syria’s decision to ban import of products that have more than a 5 percent customs duty, Ça?layan said yesterday that Syria has lifted the ban, and thus, Turkey’s exports to Syria maintained the same level with last year. “We have a serious amount of products shipping to the Arabian Peninsula via Syria,” he said.

Arte zeigt übrigens eine äüßerst sehenswerte Dukumentation über Syrien von der  Filmemacherin Sofia Amara: Syrien undervover

13. Oktober 2011, 10.42 Uhr:

Mißhandlung von Gefangenen in Libyen

von Thomas von der Osten-Sacken

Amnesty hat gerade einen Bericht veröffentlicht, in denen die Organisation der neuen libyschen Regierung vorwirft, Gefangene systematisch zu mißhandeln. Wer nun behauptet, es habe sich im Land nichts verändert, liegt natürlich falsch: früher konnten Vertreter von Menschenrechtsorganisationen nicht einmal nach Libyen reisen, geschweigen denn dort Gefangene interviewen:

Libya’s National Transitional Council (NTC) is holding about 2,500 detainees in the capital Tripoli alone, many of whom have been beaten and subject to other ill-treatment and not given access to lawyers or judicial proceedings, Amnesty International, the London-based human-rights watchdog, says.

Prisoners interviewed by the group’s researchers said they had been held for various durations, from a few days to a few months and that with rare exception they had not been arrested under any kind of legal order.

In the report released on Thursday, Detention Abuses Staining the New Libya, Amnesty said mistreatment most commonly involves beatings, particularly with wooden sticks or ropes on the feet.

At least two guards in two different detention facilities told Amnesty researchers they beat detainees in order to extract “confessions” more quickly.

11. Oktober 2011, 23.52 Uhr:

Anerkennung für die Anerkennung

von Thomas von der Osten-Sacken

Als erstes Land der Welt hat die neue libysche Regierung offenbar den syrischen National Congress als legitimime Vertretung anerkannt:

Der jüngst gegründete syrische Nationalrat, ein Zusammenschluss von Oppositionellen und Bürger-Komitees der Protestbewegung, kann einen ersten diplomatischen Erfolg erbuchen. Der Übergangsrat in Libyen hat den Nationalrat als legitime Vertretung des syrischen Volkes anerkannt, wie die libysche Zeitung „Qurayna Al-Jadida“ am Montagabend berichtete. Die Botschaft Syriens in Tripolis sei geschlossen worden. Syriens Außenminister Walid Al-Muallim hatte die Staaten der Region am Vortag davor gewarnt, den Rat anzuerkennen, der sich vor zehn Tagen in Istanbul gegründet hatte.

Siehe auch: Libyan NTC recognises Syrian opposition

10. Oktober 2011, 12.19 Uhr:

Stabilität über alles!

von Thomas von der Osten-Sacken

Die Ereignisse in Ägypten zeigen einmal mehr, wie Recht Michael Totten mit seinen Worten hatte:

The only problem with the Egyptian revolution is that it was not a revolution. It was a coup d’etat against the president by the army.

The coup d’etat had the support of the people, of course. It might not have happened had mass demonstrations not broken out, and it certainly wouldn’t have otherwise happened on the day that it did. Still, no one from Mubarak’s political opposition is in charge. The Supreme Council of the Armed Forces rules the country as a military junta.

Wer die koptische Demonstration (an der, wie ägyptische Quellen berichten, auch viele Muslime teilgenommen hatten)  gestern als erstes angriff? Das Militär! Und wer von der ganzen Lage jetzt profitiert? Das Militär!

Two armored personnel carriers (APCs) began driving at frightening speed through protesters, who threw themselves out of its path. A soldier on top of each vehicle manned a gun, and spun it wildly, apparently shooting at random although the screams made it difficult to discern exactly where the sound of gunfire was coming from.

Warum? Weil es jetzt heißt, in Ägypten herrsche ein Machtvakuum (was Unfug ist, das Militär reagiert seit Jahzehnten) und man dringend für Stabilität sorge müssen. Und wer garantiert nach Logik des State Departments und der EU Stabilität? Natürlich das Militär und die Muslimbrüder. Also müssen die Kontakte verbessert werden.

Das ägyptische Militär und Establishment hat, in dem sie Mubarak fallen ließen, eine Revolution verhindert. Wie die ausgesehen hätte oder welche Konsequenzen sie gehabt hätte, ist schwer einzuschätzen. Wie dagegen Restauration in Ägypten aussieht, das konnte man gestern live verfolgen.

Schmeicheln Sie uns!

Falls Sie Ihre Wertschätzung für unsere Website ausdrücken möchten, können Sie dies mithilfe des Mikro-Bezahlsystems Flattr tun. Benutzen Sie einfach den folgenden Button:

Mehr Informationen auf flattr.com

Werden Sie ein Fan!

Jungle World
auf Facebook

Sie müssen sich nicht für Facebook registrieren, um unsere Seite zu betrachten. Na gut, dann …